The VPI Prime combines the Scout, HRX & Classic Designs all into one! Featuring a similar Scout Plinth but with the shape and evolved feet of the HRX, then add on the Classic Platter AND the 3D tonearm and you get the VPI Prime!
The past 3 years VPI has been focusing mainly on new/entry level audiophiles and getting them to embrace vinyl for the first time. Now in 2015, with the Prime VPI has gotten back to their roots and in focusing on the existing audience with a table that offers quality hi-end sound while taking advantage of their improvements in technology. Also, it was important to show the industry that VPI will still be making new turntable and designs whether VPI founder Harry Weisfeld is in the factory or poolside! The Prime is Mat Weisfeld's first solo design on a table with Harry's approval as well as input from the rest of the VPI staff. The shape of the Prime is meant to have a curvier and sexy look compared to the "classic" look of their tables over the past 10 years. At same time having the footprint to accommodate the space needed for a 10 inch 3D arm. VPI was able to get the price lower for the 3D arm because of their improved technology and increased volume in printing and supply.
"It's not even funny how f***ing incredible this 3D arm is." - Joey Weiss, Harry Pearson's Apprentice
Special Note: There has been a minor change that has been made with the Prime tone-arm. Going forward, the 3D arm will no-longer have a 3D printed finger lift but instead will include a removable metal finger lift. VPI has performed extensive listening tests and have found there to absolutely be no sonic difference.
The Prime includes the following:
• Gimbaled JMW-10 3D Tonearm
• VTA Tower for VTA/SRA on the fly
• Classic 20 pound platter and bearing
• Outboard 300 RPM motor housing
• New "Prime" feet which offer improved isolation and better mechanical grounding
• Stainless Steel/Delrin record clamp
• Chassis made of black textured vinyl over MDF with an 11 gauge steel plate bonded to the underside for the ultimate in resonance control and feedback rejection.
• Four solid Delrin corner assemblies designed for isolation and mechanical grounding!! A first.
• A 300 rpm 24 pole AC synchronous motor capable of high torque and quiet operation installed in a separate aluminum and steel machined assembly.
• Inverted bearing - hardened stainless steel shaft, 60 Rockwell chrome hardened ball, spinning in a phosphor bronze bushing and sitting on a PEEK thrust disc. The belt side load is placed at the center of the spinning bearing for zero teeter-tooter effects.
• 20 pound damped platter machined from 6061 aluminum to +/- .001" in a 39" circumference!!!
• Motor pulley has an accuracy of +/- .0005" when leaving factory.
• Wow and flutter: >.1%
• Speed Accuracy: >.03%
• Rumble: >85db down
• The footprint is 19 1/2" x 13 3/4"
• Pivot to spindle: 258mm
• Effective length: 273.4mm
• Overhang: 15.4mm
• Offset angle: 19.98 degrees
• Average RMS distortion: 0.311%
• Internal wiring: premium Discovery wire, optional Nordost Valhalla
• New design 3d printed one piece body for the ultimate in resonance control.
• Full length copper shielding tube internally
• Adjustable side weights for finer azimuth settings.
• Built in "Easy lift" finger lift.
• Offset stainless steel counterweight for stability
• Easy setting of VTA/SRA in thousandths of an inch, calibrated and repeatable
• Adjustable anti-skate.
• Stainless Steel Outer Periphery Ring Clamp for the ultimate in record warp reduction
• Stainless Steel Record Center Weight, perfectly complements the periphery clamp
• Analog Drive System (ADS) for the utmost accuracy in motor speed and fine speed adjustments.
Click Here to view or download the VPI Prime Turntable Manual!