Yes was firing on all cylinders in the fall of 1972. The prog-rock pioneers' 5th studio album Close To The Edge was a smash success as audiences around the world packed arenas to see the legendary group perform. The band captured the magic of that tour on its first live album, Yessongs. Released in 1973, the 3LP sold over a million copies and blew minds with Roger Dean's iconic artwork.
The band recently discovered recordings of seven complete concerts from the weeks leading up to the shows heard on Yessongs. The latest audio technology was used to restore the reel-to-reel recordings and bring out incredible sonic detail, creating an open, immediate sound that drops listeners right into the front row.
Progeny: Highlights From Seventy-Two includes 90 minutes of live recordings selected from various shows. The music flows like a typical setlist from the tour as it spotlights standout performances from different cities.
This was Yes' first tour with drummer Alan White, who's been with the band ever since. He replaced Bill Bruford, who recorded Close To The Edge before leaving to join King Crimson. White only had three days to learn the band's live show before his first night on stage with Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Chris Squire, and Rick Wakeman.
Recorded three months into the tour, these powerful performances attest to how quickly the new line-up came together musically as they navigate hits like "Roundabout," and complex pieces like "And You and I." Even though the setlist didn't vary much from night to night, the individual performances are strikingly different.
Restored from the original multitrack tapes
Jon Anderson, vocals
Steve Howe, guitar
Chris Squire, bass
Rick Wakeman, keyboards
Alan White, drums
LP 1 - Side 1:
1. Opening (Excerpt from Firebird Suite) / Siberian Khatru (Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, New York November 20, 1972)
2. I've Seen All Good People (Knoxville Civic Coliseum, Knoxville, Tennessee November 15, 1972)
a. Your Move
b. All Good People
LP 1 - Side 2:
1. Heart Of The Sunrise (Knoxville Civic Coliseum, Knoxville, Tennessee November 15, 1972)
2. Clap / Mood For A Day (Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, North Carolina November 12, 1972)
LP 2 - Side 3:
1. And You And I (Cameron Indoor Stadium, Durham, North Carolina November 11, 1972)
I. Cord Of Life
III. The Preacher The Teacher
LP 2 - Side 4:
1. Close To The Edge (Cameron Indoor Stadium, Durham, North Carolina November 11, 1972)
I. The Solid Time Of Change
II. Total Mass Retain
III. I Get Up I Get Down
IV. Seasons Of Man
LP 3 - Side 5:
1. Excerpts From "The Six Wives Of Henry VIII" (Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, North Carolina November 12, 1972)
2. Roundabout (Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, Ontario October 31, 1972)
LP 3 - Side 6:
1. Yours Is No Disgrace (Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, North Carolina November 12, 1972)