Release Date To Be Announced pre-order your copy today! Orders with both pre-order and in stock items will have all in stock items shipped immediately!
Super Deluxe Edition Of 1972 Classic On 5LP!
Newly Remastered Original Album, Plus 20 Previously Unreleased Recordings!
Black Sabbath unleashed the group's fourth album in two years in 1972 with Vol 4. Stacked with classic tracks like "Supernaut," "Changes," and "Snowblind," the record harnessed the group's surging popularity to reach the Top 10 on the Albums Chart in the U.K. and the Top 20 on the Billboard 200 in the U.S., on its path to being certified platinum by the RIAA.
The innovators of heavy metal revisit Vol 4 on a new collection that includes a newly remastered version of the original album along with a trove of 20 unreleased studio and live recordings and comes with extensive booklets featuring liner notes with quotes from the era from all four band members, rare photos, and a poster with previously unpublished early artwork of the album using the working title Snowblind.
Bolstered by a fresh remastering, Vol 4's ambitious arrangements and complex grooves have never sounded more inspired and menacing. Originally released in September 1972, the album marked two major changes for the members of Sabbath: Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, and Bill Ward. While their previous albums - Black Sabbath, Paranoid, and Master of Reality - were produced by Rodger Bain and recorded in England, they instead chose to produce Vol 4 themselves and record it at the Record Plant in Los Angeles.
The generous addition of bonus material on Vol. 4: Super Deluxe Edition begins with six previously unreleased studio outtakes from the original sessions for the album. Each one has been newly mixed by Steven Wilson using the analog multi-tracks. Highlights include outtakes for "Supernaut" and "Changes," as well an instrumental version of "Under The Sun."
The set also features 11 additional studio recordings (also newly mixed by Wilson from the analog multi-tracks) that spotlight alternative takes, false starts and snippets of studio dialogue. These tracks transport listeners into the studio with the band and offer some insight into the making of the album. Along with several alternative takes for "Wheels Of Confusion," these recordings also include outtakes for "The Straightener" and "Snowblind."
The collection concludes with a searing collection of live performances that re-create a typical setlist from Black Sabbath's tour for Vol 4. Recorded in March 1973 at various stops along the band's U.K. tour. The recordings were originally slated for a live album that was ultimately shelved. Although some of these performances have been previously available in various states, the release marks the first time that a full 1973 live Sabbath show has been recreated. The live audio has been newly mixed by Richard Digby Smith using the original 16-track analog tapes to achieve a level of fidelity not heard on any previous incarnations.
Though clouded by substance abuse, Vol. 4 found Sabbath at a creative peak that teetered on the edge of going off the rails completely. It's messy and bewildered but stands as one of the band's most captivating and influential documents in all of its bizarre, damaged brilliance.
It would be misleading to argue that Vol. 4 is the work of Black Sabbath at the peak of their powers. When you're the band that recorded 'Iron Man,' 'War Pigs,' and 'Paranoid,' and you put them all on the same album, congratulations, that's the peak of your powers. But *Vol. 4* - recently reissued with a full haul of outtakes, false starts, and live versions - is a close second. The sense of scale, the lyrical directness, and the sheer riff-crunching power that mark the band at their best are all here, along with several signature Sabbath tunes. Paranoid might top the list, but Vol. 4 is indispensable metal in its own right.
The jewel of this set is a live album recorded at various stops on the band's sold out tour of the U.K. in 1973 - a period that was arguably Sabbath's best as a touring entity. As it should be, the quartet breathe fire into their material with longer, expressive solos and showcases for the instrumentalists to take spotlight turns. Taken in one heaping spoonful, this set is a stunner.
- Super Deluxe Edition
- 5LP Set
- Newly Remastered Original Album
- 20 Previously Unreleased Studio/Live Recordings
- Studio Recordings/Outtakes Mixed By Steven Wilson From Analog Multi-Tracks
- Live Recordings Mixed By Richard Digby Smith From Original 16-Track Analog Tapes
- Extensive Booklets
- Liner Notes
- Rare Photos
- Poster With Previously Unpublished Artwork
- Wheels of Confusion / The Straightener (2021 Remaster)
- Tomorrow's Dream (2021 Remaster)
- Changes (2021 Remaster)
- FX (2021 Remaster)
- Supernaut (2021 Remaster)
- Snowblind (2021 Remaster)
- Cornucopia (2021 Remaster)
- Laguna Sunrise (2021 Remaster)
- St. Vitus Dance (2021 Remaster)
- Under the Sun / Every Day Comes and Goes (2021 Remaster)
- Wheels of Confusion / The Straightener (Outtakes: Steven Wilson Mix) [2021 Remaster]
- Changes (Outtakes: Steven Wilson Mix) [2021 Remaster]
- Supernaut (Outtakes: Steven Wilson Mix) [2021 Remaster]
- Snowblind (Outtakes: Steven Wilson Mix) [2021 Remaster]
- Laguna Sunrise (Outtakes: Steven Wilson Mix) [2021 Remaster]
- Under the Sun (Outtakes: Steven Wilson Instrumental Mix) [2021 Remaster]
- Wheels of Confusion (False Start with Studio Dialogue) [2021 Remaster]
- Wheels of Confusion (Alternative Take 1) [2021 Remaster]
- Wheels of Confusion (Alternative Take 2) [2021 Remaster]
- Wheels of Confusion (Alternative Take 3) [2021 Remaster]
- Wheels of Confusion (Alternative Take 4) [2021 Remaster]
- The Straightener (Outtake) [2021 Remaster]
- Snowblind (Alternative Take 1) [2021 Remaster]
- Supernaut (Outtake) [2021 Remaster]
- Supernaut (Alternative Takes with False Starts) [2021 Remaster]
- Under the Sun (False Start with Studio Dialogue) [2021 Remaster]
- Under the Sun (Alternative Take with Guide Vocal) [2021 Remaster]
- Under the Sun (Alternative Take with Guide Vocal) [2021 Remaster]
- Sweet Leaf (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
- War Pigs (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
- Snowblind (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
- Killing Yourself to Live (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
- Cornucopia (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
- Wicked World (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
- Supernaut (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
- Wicked World (Reprise) [Live in the UK 1973] [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
- Embryo (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
- Children of the Grave (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]
- Paranoid (Live in the UK 1973) [Richard Digby Smith Mix]